Monday, July 27, 2009

Same Differences

Stuff We Don’t Agree On… Sort Of:

For my first non-introductory post, I thought I would talk about some of the differences that have already surfaced in the creation of our blog. We had quite a time deciding on the title and the format (still working on that one), much less the type of blog we wanted. Digging into the weeds, we can examine the real-life differences that people deal with every day.

For example, I have the distinct impression that Anne will find my posts (particularly that first one) too cheesy. She’s probably right, but being a man of the arts, it is hard not indulge from time to time… And believe it or not, I actually mean most of what I try to say. I just don’t think it always comes off the way I intend it to. To test these waters, I did intentionally put some kind of really cheesy slogan in the About Us column. It was actually a place holder so I could explore the formatting for our site. She hasn’t said anything yet, but she might bring it up soon. I also think it is funny that she refers to me as DH on many of her posts, but doesn’t want to be referred to as DW. That one I completely agree on, because when you have kids you see a lot of Arthur. And from that perspective, being called DW is kind of an insult.

More Stuff We Agree On:


Blogging takes time, but we don’t want it to take up too much of our time. That’s one of the best reasons to start a blog together. Not only can we share the time that it takes to keep up with one, we can also share the stories, topics and conversations. That sort of thing is good for relationships, and I am hoping that this will bring us closer together. It is difficult to find common ground when it comes to specific interests. For instance, while I enjoy the results of frugal living and good menu planning, I am not as into the actual details such as coupon clipping and, well… Making menus. Likewise, while Anne enjoys using the computer and electronics, she doesn’t really share the same motivation I have to learn every little detail about them. These factors make it difficult to have a conversation regarding these topics. Lately, we have been trying to find more of those things that bring us closer together. …More things that we can share. I recommend making this a priority in any relationship.

Stuff We Can’t Decide On:


We can’t decide on just how much detail to include about our personal lives on a blog. We want to talk about relevant issues, but we don’t want to be Jon and Kate (at this point, no one probably does). On the other hand, the conversation that we hope to have with others will require certain details about our family. We can’t decide whether it is a good idea to post pictures of our kids or tell you what their names are. There are a lot of less-than-reputable people out there that probably can’t spell less-than-reputable but can type a lot of other seemingly innocent terms in search engines. The internet is a wonderful tool that connects people around the world but includes a certain amount of real danger in the process... We also can’t decide which new girlfriend of Jon’s we dislike the most or which parent is to blame for the break-up. But more importantly, we can’t decide whether any of that is really good to talk about at all. I think we are leaning toward, not really at all on that one, but we’ll see.

Closing Thoughts:

As you can see, we will have a lot of things to talk about if we can just decide on what those things will be and how we will talk about them. I think a mix of trivial, useful and serious topics will be the best way to proceed. If you have any suggestions, feel free to throw some of those out there. Until we really get our blog established, we will probably only be writing to ourselves anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment