Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Response to: Marriage - Putting on the Pounds

I don't know how much I attribute being married to weighing more than I used to, except to blame it on Anne's awesome talents as a chef. It seems to me that age and children are probably more likely factors. Then again, I suppose that having children leaves us with less time to work out and more stress. Here's the thing though, I'm pretty sure there is a statistic out there that says married people live longer. Here, I found an example:

ABC News Article

In fact I just found this interesting article that claims that married people not only live longer, but they are healthier and wealthier too!

The Case for Marriage: Why Married People are Happier, Healthier and Better Off Financially

That last example has a lot of references, so it seems like fairly legit research. I found it interesting to note that the article takes it a bit further by stating that living together does not have the same benefits because it lacks the "permanency" that marriage offers. ...And getting divorced certainly doesn't seem to a be a contributor to happiness, health or longevity either.

So Dr. Dave concludes that, while being married may tend to make one a little heavier, it is better to be fat, dumb and happy than to be less financially stable, less healthy and more likely to die. I don't know, the choice seems pretty obvious to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment