Monday, July 27, 2009

Marriage = Putting on the Pounds?

While on the elliptical at the gym last night (phew, I was at the gym and not sitting on the couch eating cookies), I saw a story on the ABC nightly news about how married couples gain more weight than their single counterparts.

"In the few short years of marriage, a couple is twice as likely to become obese as are people who are merely dating, according to a new study." Article here.

A timely topic for my husband and blog partner Dave and I as for the last few weeks I've been on a big push to consistently work out and eat better. A couple of months ago Dave just finished up his own big push to get in shape and lose weight for the yearly fitness test he has to pass for his work.

Curious to find out more I did a little digging around on the web and found these listed as possible reasons:

* We are no longer trying to attract a partner

* Pregnancy occurs

* We cook for gratification

* We eat as much as our partner

* We put our family's eating preferences above our own

* We become the family's garbage disposal

* Our partner sabotages us

* We are in an unhappy marriage and turn to food for solace

* We have unresolved issues

*article here

I have to admit that part of my motivation is that I *don't* want to "let myself go" as I get older. Too bad food has to taste so dang good! I think tonight I am going to munch down a couple of cookies while sitting on the couch watching TV with my honey!

No comments:

Post a Comment