Saturday, August 8, 2009

Colorado Springs – Best City in the Nation

Well, according to the August 2009 edition of Outside magazine, that’s exactly what we are. Here is the rank order of the contestants (city, population, median cost of a home in thousands of dollars, funny commentary by me):

(1) Colorado Springs
, .617M, $180, Oh, yeah!

Palmer Park
(2) Seattle, 3.3M, $315, Ooh… Just a few too many cloudy days.
(3) Atlanta, 5.3M, $115, Too hot.
(4) Austin, 1.6M, $182, Same reason.
(5) Boston, 4.5M, $290, Sorry Anthony, but it looks like your town is just too expensive.
(6) Albuquerque, .845M, $182, No one can spell your town anyway…
(7) Portland, 2.2M, $248, Who lives in Oregon?
(8) Minneapolis, 3.2M, $174, I’ve had quite enough of the frozen north already, thank you very much.
(9) Cincinnati, 2.1M, $106, Well, my parents don’t live too far away from here, so I guess I could visit.
(10) Charlotte, 1.7M, $171, Nice name, but it reminds me of a spider for some reason. That’s bad for image.

Wow. I have friends that live in Seattle and Boston… Sorry, guys. Looks like CS has got you beat.
Park at Uintah

I admit, I never thought someone would rate CS over these big cities. Then again, I have never been to these big cities either. Colorado Springs definitely has a lot going for it, but I think this article hits on one really important factor…

Sure, we have mountains and access to nearly 4 million acres of wilderness… And world-class ski resorts... and a heavily tech-based economy…

Garden of the Gods

But if you ask me, all that means nothing without a reasonable cost of living.


It is rather ironic (in two ways), that I happened upon this article. The first irony is that I just posted an article about being separated from family, but being at least partially satisfied with the comforts of CS. Second, I have been having this “discussion” with Anne about the cost of living in CS. She keeps telling me how expensive the housing market is in comparison with Omaha. I keep telling her that a lot of the reason for difference in price is location. I told her that location is probably one of the biggest factors in home prices and that CS seems to be universally considered a great place to live. She wasn’t buying this. In perhaps the biggest I-told-you-so scenario in recent history, I have the pleasure of supporting my position with this fine literary example (the article).

On that note, I must point out that not only is the cost of living considered reasonable, but “extremely low” according to the article. Additionally, it is the main reason cited for “edging out” our big brother to the north, Denver. Who needs Broncos anyway? Not when I can afford to actually live with a gigantic view of Pikes Peak from my front yard.

OK, so here’s the part where I get to back-pedal a bit… See I was all happy with my argument until I found this article by CNNMoney.com that rates Papillion, Nebraska as #3 (which is basically Omaha, in case you didn’t know) on their list of the top 100 Best Places To Live!

Papillion, .022M, $151, This is why your wife is always right in the end... Thanks a lot CNN.


Rats. Well, I guess this could only mean one thing… No matter which place we end up, it’ll be great. Although, Colorado Springs was still number one…

Related Link:

Best Towns 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment